Sunday, June 19, 2011

Memorial Day.......a veteran.....

I took a trip with my family to a Memorial Day celebration in Pocatello this year. I spent a couple of hours visiting old town and sites along the east side of the railroad tracks. I visited the abandoned, dreary, sun bleached buildings running parallel along the tracks as if they're standing at attention and waiting to follow the next yellow engine right out of town.  The scene is not depressing, on the contrary it seems to carry itself with an allure of historical arrogance. I don't say that in a condescending way. I've been here many times and I've never seen this side of Pocatello. I'm usually complaining about the pollution that quickly turn me into a runny, snotty nose whiner! Pocatello has character, real character. 

While I was looking for photo opportunities and time to kill before the Memorial Day celebration at Century High I ran into a complete stranger by the name of Robert. He was nice enough, he was polite and inquisitive, as it turned out he was a veteran of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. With several tours under his belt and a new set of problems resulting from combat exposure he kindly shared a brief snapshot of his life with me. I snapped shots attempting to capture what it might feel to have these splinters forever wired into his brain. In the end I don't know if I captured it or not, all I could really do is say thank you for the service he provided for me. Because of brave people like Robert and the people represented by crosses I later encountered at the Memorial I am able to spend a day doing what I like to do.....without fear. Free.











No comments:

Post a Comment